Monday, September 21, 2009

Frustrating! I think so.

I just finished my text for project one. I anticipated having finished it earlier in the day, working on my visual this evening. I can tell one of the greatest challenges this semester will be trusting the process.

During my undergraduate years I had no problem writing crappy first drafts and revising, revising, revising. Graduate classes require a final draft so skillfully crafted, I feel the need to control every step. The only time I feel free is during brainstorming.

I know logically, trying to force perfection without process is not the way to go. It ended up making my writing more arduous than necessary. I can't imagine consistently meeting deadlines with any success using this method. Plus, the whole point of school is to learn from those who know better.

Emotionally only Martha Stewarting the project makes me feel good. (Martha stewarting= micro-managing every infinite detail from beginning to end while adding applique hearts. It's a good thing.)

So, my goal with project two is to let go, stop trying to control everything. I imagine this will actually end up being my goal of the semester.

Wish me luck!

0 comments: