I still remember falling in love with spoken word. Seeking a little extra credit, I went to a variety show of the communication department. A student only known to me as the hippie-from-my-rhetoric-of-social-movements-class took the stage. His words and flow painted such beautiful pictures of love, sex. His control of language captivated the audience and captured my imagination. A man who seemed so gross to me the previous day was suddenly Brad Pitt. It has been half a decade since I last saw him perform. Even today, as I read his poems, I can still hear him perform. Bellow are a few of my favs by Jonathan Brown.
I'm not going to lose my arm
headlights pass my sight
on the right side
tables decide sides
bacon grease creeps up
refilling ketchup
and grinding coffee
knuckles on the cheek
I'm bored
my cigarette ash is long
and my water in not
filled up
I worte a phone number on my arm
and said, "I'm not
going to lose my arm."
That Night I Educated Myself
I'll tell you why,
I'll tell you why I got a C+ in my
poetry rhyme and meter class.
Before the first test
I was screaming poetry on a rooftop
in front of a rock band
on the night
of the president's state of the union address.
King Street was flooded with people.
We made a scene.
We had to pack up and dip before the police came.
By the time I ran to Maybank for my class
I was so charged with adrenaline
I couldn't recall my short term memory.
I couldn't regurgitate specific terms.
Definitions eluded my stabbing mind.
The stream of consciousness was flowing too fast
for me to reach down and catch a definition
swimming on the shallow riverbed.
I was on a rooftop living the life.
I was so charged.
I blew a fuse running the tract meet
to meet academia
But that was a valuable night.
My pop always says
you can have everything you want in this life
just not at the same time
Well I made my decision
and I wouldn't trade it
for a water down version of blaa.
The lessons I learned on the rooftop
go beyond everything English 395
had to offer that day.
I failed that first test
because I was out getting educated.
Body Language
There is a shadow on the wall
chasing another shadow
in the moonlight.
The motions
make more noise
than the choice words spoken

0 comments:
Post a Comment